Created by Lee for Color Me Conscious

Live consciously...and color someone happy today!
http://colormeconscious.com/

Friday, April 16, 2010

With cuff design in mind...(Part 8)

Like a mermaid resting in the cool sand, this eco-friendly needle felted cuff still manages to look oh so warm and cuddly.

Straight out of Louisville comes an artist taking upcycling to a new heights. Kim, the designer behind Needles and Kims is an Etsian and long time needle arts aficionado --- getting her kicks from creating OOAK needle felted and embellished purses, home accessories, and cuffs (bien sur!) from old sweaters she's machine felted herself. All in lovely muted colors, they are extremely soft to the touch and comfortable to wear (Kim will actually size the cuff to fit YOUR wrist at no extra charge). Her cuffs remind me of my favorite stuffed animals...only all "growed" up! Read all about this eco-friendly crafter in this week's artist interview...

Q: What makes your shop unique?
Everything in my shop is made from repurposed wool (sometimes cashmere) sweaters that I machine felt. My shop is ecofriendly—I love to “reuse and renew”.

Q: How long have you been designing cuff bracelets?
Just since February! My focus for the last year has been on felted wool purses and I just decided a few weeks ago to branch out a bit.

Q: Describe the cuffs you design (materials, style, special features etc.)
A natural look with a bit of glitz, eclectic, sometimes romantic, sometimes with a nostalgic flair. I embellish my cuffs with vintage buttons, yarn, interesting fibers, wool roving, and/or repurposed jewelry. I needle felt the yarn, fibers and roving into the felted wool. I like to add embroidery sometimes.

Q: What type of woman do you imagine wearing your cuffs? (Include the name of at least two celebs that you think would love to rock your cuff and tell why...)I imagine women who wear my cuffs like to have a fun touch in their wardrobes. They are women who have a sense of adventure and aren’t afraid to be themselves.I can easily see Ashley Judd wearing my cuffs. She’s a natural beauty, confident in herself and not afraid to do her own thing. I can also see Sandra Bullock wearing my cuffs. She has a casual look and a fun attitude.

Q: Finish the following sentence: "I consider myself a cuffie (lover of cuffs) because..."
...they’re just so much fun to wear! The ones I make are very soft and comfortable too.

No comments:

Post a Comment